Located at 112th and Adams Street, Prairie Pines is a 145-acre tract of land with 35 acres of trees and shrubs consisting of over 200 woody plant species, and over 55 acres of native grasses & forbs including 10 acres virgin prairie. The arboretum specimens are located by gps.
Walt was an assistant professor of Forestry at the University of Nebraska from 1955- 1985 where he taught horticulture & Forestry classes, managed horning research farm and conducted research involving windbreaks, woody plant provenance & agroforestry.
In retirement Walt co-authored the woody plant resource book, “Woody plants for the central and northern prairies” with Richard Sutton, published in 2002.
Prairie Pines got its name because it is the first choose & cut Christmas Tree Farm in Nebraska. It operated from 1960 until 2001.
Walter Bagley is a founding member of Wachiska Audubon.
Prairie Pines is protected from development by the First Conservation easement in Nebraska, this started in 1982.
Prairie Pines was the first home of raptor recovery of Nebraska (Under the direction of Betsy Hancock) from 1978 until their move in 1995.
Prairie Pines became an affiliated arboretum site of the Nebraska statewide arboretum, inc. in 1980.
Prairie Pines was gifted to the University of Nebraska Foundation for purposes of education and research in 1992.
Became a research & education site for the University of Nebraska School of Natural Resources in 1992.
Community Crops Growing Farmers Incubator Program's first season at Prairie Pines was in 2013.